Sunday, September 11, 2016

We Remember

Last night, I sat with three of my teens and my niece and nephew discussing September 11th.  They pointed out that every year they are told to remember an event that they don't remember.  At all.  Two of them were toddlers, one was an infant.  One was a week from his birth while the last was born almost exactly a year after that awful day.  Ever since that conversation, I have been pondering.  My patriotic heart can't deny it, I do want them to remember.  But what, exactly?
Do I want them to remember events so horrible that I worked diligently to shield them from 15 years ago?  Do I want them to remember that people can be cruel, and hateful and unyielding?  That men hurt each other and crash planes into buildings?  Do I want them to live in fear?  No.  But still, I want them to remember.

I want them to remember that good triumphs over evil.  Even in the darkest of times, before the dust had even settled, the goodness of human nature started to shine.  Millions of stories have been shared.  Boats ferrying stranded people away from the chaos.  People offering water, clothing and medical help to complete strangers.  Entire communities providing food and shelter to stranded airline passengers.  And on and on.  While the shock was still settling in our hearts, the inspiration and unity were already emerging. And it felt so good to be united.   To know that we could rise above such tragedy. That even though we were not ok, we were going to be just fine.




I want them to remember that the little things really are the big things.  In the days following these tragic events, President Bush asked the youth of our country to do some work to help those victims who would be suffering for years to come.  His suggestion was that each child do a little chore to earn a dollar to send to help the victims.  My 2 and 4 year old kids raked leaves to earn their dollar.  They each mailed them to the fund.  All those dollars sent by children all over the country added up to a great fund to help those loved ones begin to recover.  I hope that they always remember that there is something they can do to help.  Sometimes they will be able to jump in and get their hands dirty helping those in need.  Sometimes they will be able to send a little money to help.  Sometimes all they will be able to do is pray for those in need.  But I hope they will always remember to be a helper.  To find ways to serve and love those who need it most.  

I want them to remember to pray.  On September 11th, there were millions of Americans, glued to TVs across the nation, feeling helpless.  I could do nothing to help.  I couldn't deliver water or dig through rubble or post fliers.  But I could pray.  A million uttered prayers.  Prayers for help.  Prayers for the injured.  And the survivors.  And those who loved those who didn't make it out that day.  I prayed for the leaders of our nation.  And for all the rest of us, whose hearts were hurting and there was so little we could do.  I found peace and comfort in prayer.  And when millions across the nation united in a day of prayer, peace settled upon us.  Peace amid turmoil.  And I knew it would be ok. I want my children to always, always always remember the power of prayer.  The peace that can be found there.  And that sometimes, when there is nothing else to do, (or when there are a million other things to do as well) the power of prayer can never be overestimated. 
 
I want my children to remember those who lost their lives.  Like so many other tragedies, battles and wars, the lives lost are senseless and irreplaceable.  Remembering them can not bring them back to those who still miss them 15 years later.  But it can give their loved ones the comfort of knowing that they are loved and remembered.  That their lives meant something. That we have not forgotten.

It seems that the past 15 years have brought more events that we would rather forget than we could have possibly imagined.  Our nation is hurting in so many ways. And I believe with all my heart that the only way we can heal is to remember.  And to serve.  And to pray. And to know that one day, good will triumph over evil.  And our hearts will heal. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment